domingo, 19 de abril de 2009

10th week


This week was outstanding. My friend Sokwhan came from Laramie Wyoming Colorado to visit me and my brother during his spring break. I really enjoyed the time he stayed since we played a lot of games and went to many places like “Ixtapan de la sal”. The only thing that I hope is that he enjoyed it too since we didn’t have vacations thus we came to school three out of the seven days.
Now, as for the class...

This week we played the game of Farming. The class got divided into five teams and we had to simulate farming for our town. The only risk of this game is that if a team didn’t farm enough food for two periods then they would disappear. The farming that we did could either be during a dry or humid year depending on luck. During the playtime there could be some natural disasters and some outside help.
I won’t tell all the details of the game but the best solution of the game (probability wise) counting all the restrictions is
7 of Yucca, 1 of wheat and 2 of beans every year.
Except if you knew the weather was going to be humid in which you would plant
7 of Beet, 1 corn and 2 potatoes.
And the teams should always try to get 251 or 501 and help other team to get to a production of 501. Note: 501 is the most stable position out of all. E.g. if a team gets 351, that team should gain 200 or give 100 to maximize the production of everyone.
Ok, I think I went a little too far into optimization ^^,
I notice one important behavior though. All the teams were helping each other so that no one dies and the team that had advantage knowing in advance that they will always have humid years helped other teams.

This week we also watched Live 8. I really felt impress by their work. We are talking about famous artist working together to improve the conditions in Africa throughout the world. I didn’t even know that such an event existed in the first place and after watching part of the video I notice that a lot of people are trying to improve Africans life condition. I think that we should do similar events in México and try to change the culture to a giving culture.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario